Assistant Professor, Department of Geography
Ph.D., 2013, Geography, University of Arizona
M.Sc., 2007, Economics, Lahore University of Management Sciences
B.S., 2004, Industrial Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Geographies of physical infrastructure
- Transboundary waters
- Geopolitics of drone warfare
- Marxist geography, especially critical development studies
- Modern Pakistan and South Asia
G 417/517: Geography of Development
G 463: Environmental Politics of South Asia
G 453: Water and Society
G 210: Introduction to Political Geography
G 120: World Regional Geography
- Shaw, I.G.R., and Akhter, M. (2014). The dronification of state violence. Critical Asian Studies 46(2): 211-234.
- Basu, P., Pawson, E., Akhter, M., Palmer, D., & Mervine, V. M. (2014). Connecting high school and university teachers in national and international contexts Journal of Geography in Higher Education 38(1): 40-48.
- Mustafa, D., Akhter, M., and N. Nasrallah. 2013. Understanding Pakistan’s Water/Security Nexus. Peaceworks No. 88. Washington D.C.: United States Institute of Peace.
- Shaw, I.G.R., and Akhter, M. (2012). The unbearable humanness of drone warfare in FATA, Pakistan. Antipode 44(4): 1490-1509.
- Akhter, M., Ormeord, K., and Scott, C.A. (2010). Lost in translation: Resilience, social agency, and water planning in Tucson, Arizona. Critical Planning (17): 46-66.
- Akhter, M. 2013. The geopolitics of dam design on the Indus. Economic and Political Weekly 48(19): 24-26.
- Akhter, M. 2012 . Floods are not (just) natural. Tanqeed: a magazine of politics and culture. Available at: http://www.tanqeed.org/2012/12/floods-are-not-just-natural-majed-akhter/
- Akhter, M. 2012. Indus and the ‘territorial trap’. Dawn (www.dawn.com)
- Akhter, M. 2012. The politics of sovereignty in Pakistan. Economic and Political Weekly 47(2): 17-19.
- Akhter, M. 2013. Writing the Mughal State as a spatial process. (Book Review Essay). Economic and Political Weekly 48(40): 31-36.
- Akhter, M. 2012. The politics of Islam and democracy in Pakistan. (Book Review Essay). Critical Asian Studies 44(3): 499-504.
- Akhter, M. 2012. Book Review: Water: Asia’s New Battleground (by Brahma Chellaney, 2011, Georgetown University Press). Published online by Antipode at: http://antipodefoundation.org/book-reviews/