Assistant Professor, Department of Geography
Office: SB 204
TEL: (812) 855-7971
Ph.D., 2013, Geography, University of Arizona
M.Sc., 2007, Economics, Lahore University of Management Sciences
B.S., 2004, Industrial Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Geographies of physical infrastructure
- Transboundary waters
- Geopolitics of drone warfare
- Marxist geography, especially critical development studies
- Modern Pakistan and South Asia
G 417/517: Geography of Development
G 463/563: Political Geographies of South Asia
G 453/553: Water and Society
G 347: Water Security and Sustainability
G 210: Introduction to Political Geography
G 208: Human-Environment Interaction
G 120: World Regional Geography
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Akhter, M. Infrastructure nation: State space, hegemony, and hydraulic regionalism in Pakistan. Accepted in Antipode
- Akhter, M., and Ormerod, K. The irrigation technozone: State power, expertise, and agrarian development in the U.S. West and British Punjab, 1880-1920. Accepted in Geoforum.
- Akhter, M. (2015). The hydropolitical Cold War: The Indus Waters Treaty and state formation in Pakistan. Political Geography 46 (3): 65-75.
- Shaw, I.G.R., and Akhter, M. (2014). The dronification of state violence. Critical Asian Studies 46(2): 211-234.
- Basu, P., Pawson, E., Akhter, M., Palmer, D., & Mervine, V. M. (2014). Connecting high school and university teachers in national and international contexts Journal of Geography in Higher Education 38(1): 40-48.
- Shaw, I.G.R., and Akhter, M. (2012). The unbearable humanness of drone warfare in FATA, Pakistan. Antipode 44(4): 1490-1509.
- Akhter, M., Ormeord, K., and Scott, C.A. (2010). Lost in translation: Resilience, social agency, and water planning in Tucson, Arizona. Critical Planning (17): 46-66.
- Akhter, M. 2014. State, society and power: Towards a new political economy of Pakistan. Economic and Political Weekly. 49 (26/27): 49-50.
- Akhter, M. 2014. Electrifying development. Tanqeed: a magazine of politics and culture.
- Mustafa, D., Akhter, M., and N. Nasrallah. 2013. Understanding Pakistan’s Water/Security Nexus. Peaceworks (88). Washington D.C.: United States Institute of Peace. [peer-reviewed]
- Akhter, M. 2013. The geopolitics of dam design on the Indus. Economic and Political Weekly 48(19): 24-26.
- Akhter, M. 2012 . Floods are not (just) natural. Tanqeed: a magazine of politics and culture.
- Akhter, M. 2013. Writing the Mughal State as a spatial process. (Book Review Essay). Economic and Political Weekly 48(40): 31-36.
- Akhter, M. 2012. The politics of Islam and democracy in Pakistan. (Book Review Essay). Critical Asian Studies 44(3): 499-504.
- Akhter, M. 2012. Book Review: Water: Asia’s New Battleground (by Brahma Chellaney, 2011, Georgetown University Press).