Assistant Professor, Department of Geography
Office: SB 310
TEL: (812) 855-6303
Ph.D., 2014, Syracuse University
- Urban Geography
- Political Geography
- Cultural Geography
- Postcolonial Studies
- G415/515: Advanced Urban Studies/Sustainable Urbanism
- G380: Cultural Geography
Ishan Ashutosh is a critical human geographer whose work encompasses the study of migration, the politics of race and ethnicity from an international and comparative perspective, and urban studies. His research examines the multiple and contested representations of South Asia through projects situated in migration and area studies. The first research project focuses on the transnational politics of South Asian diasporas in multiple urban centres in the United States, Canada, and Britain, while the second research project examines the constructions of South Asia in the social sciences as a site of knowledge production. Ishan has published his work in the journals Citizenship Studies, Urban Geography, Geopolitics, and Diaspora. Prior to joining the department of Geography at Indiana University, Ishan was a lecturer at Northumbria University in Newcastle, UK, and a postdoctoral fellow at The Ohio State University. Ishan holds a PhD in Geography from Syracuse University, an MA in the Social Sciences from the University of Chicago, and a BA in History from the University at Buffalo.
- Ashutosh, Ishan. 2014. “From the Census to the City: Representing South Asians in Canada and Toronto. Diaspora 17(2): 130-148.
- Ashutosh, Ishan. 2013. “Immigrant Protests in Toronto: diaspora and Sri Lanka’s civil war.” Citizenship Studies 17(2): 197-210.
- Crane, Nicholas Jon and Ashutosh, Ishan. 2013. A Movement Returning Home? Critical Geographies of Occupy Wall Street After the Evictions.” Cultural Studies/Critical Methodologies 13(3): 168-172.
- Ashutosh, Ishan. 2012. "South Asians in Toronto: geographies of transnationalism, diaspora, and the settling of differences in the city." South Asian Diaspora 4(1): pp. 95-109.
- Ashutosh, Ishan and Alison Mountz. 2012. “The geopolitics of migrant mobility: tracing state relations through refugee claims and discourses.” Geopolitics 17: pp. 335-354.
- Ashutosh, Ishan and Alison Mountz. 2011. “Migration management for the benefit of whom? Interrogating the work of the International Organization for Migration.” Citizenship Studies, Vol. 15, Nos. 6/7: pp. 21-38.
- Ashutosh, Ishan and Jamie L. Winders. 2009. “Teaching Orientalism in Introductory Human Geography.” The Professional Geographer. 61: 3, pp. 1-14.
- Ashutosh, Ishan. 2008. “Recreating the community: South Asian transnationalism in Chicago.” Urban Geography 29: 3, pp. 224-245.