Associate Professor Emeritus, Department of Geography
Office: SB 120
AB Dartmouth College 1964
M.A. University of Washington 1969
Ph.D. University of Washington 1975
- Human—Environment Relations
- Landscape Study
- Landscape as Embodied Energy
- Landscape and Tourism in Denmark
- 2008 with S. Donnelly and J.M. Rickly, “Landscape as Context for Tourism Studies,” In D.C. Knudsen, M.M. Metro-Roland, A.K. Soper, and C.E. Greer (Eds). (2008) Landscape, Tourism and Meaning. Aldershot, Hampshire, UK: Ashgate.
- 2008 with D.C. Knudsen, “Heritage Tourism, Heritage Landscapes and Wilderness Preservation: The Case of National Park Thy.” Journal of Heritage Tourism 3(1): 18-35.
- 2003 “Province, Nation and the Chinese Megastate” in Chiao-min Hsieh and Max Lu (Eds.). China in Transition: A Geographic Perspective, Westview Press
- 1998 “Amur River,” “Huang Ho,” “Yangzi River” in “Asia” section of The New Encyclopedia Britannica, 15th ed. vol 14, pp.209-211.
- 1985 Agro-ecological Zones for Wheat Production in China. International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington D.C. With Bruce Stone, et al. 304 pp.
- 1983 “The Texas Water System: Implications for Environmental Assessment in Planning For Interbasin Water Transfers,” in Biswas, et al. (eds.) Long Distance Water Transfer: A Chinese Case Study and International Experiences, published for the United Nations by Tycooly International Publishing Ltd. (Dublin) pp.77-90, and in Chinese by Sciences Press, Beijing.
- 1979 Water Management in the Yellow River Basin of China. University of Texas Press. 174 pp.