Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Geography
Office: SB 105
TEL: (812) 855-2916
Ph.D., 2006, University of Guelph
B.S., 2002, University of Guelph
- Climate effects of mineral aerosols
- Measurement and modeling of sediment transport dynamics
- Role of vegetation in semi-arid environments
- Saline lakes as indicators for environmental degradation
- G185: Environmental Change: The end of the world as we know it?
- G250: Computer Methods in Geography
- G305: Environmental Change: Nature & Impact
- G306: Desert Landscapes and Dynamics
- G440: Environmental Impacts on Arid Landscapes
- Etyemezian, V., J.A. Gillies, M. Shinoda, G. Nikolich, J. King, A.R. Bardis (2014), Accounting for durface roughness on measurements conducted with PI-SWERL: Evaluation of a subjective visual approach and photogrammetric technique, Aeolian Research, 13, 35-50
- Nield, J. M., J. King, B. Jacobs (2014), Detecting surface moisture in aeolian environments using terrestrial laser scanning, Aeolian Research, 12, 9-17.
- Nield, J. M., J. King, G.F.S. Wiggs, J. Leyland, R.G. Bryant, R.C. Chiverrell, S.E. Darby, F.D. Eckardt, D.S.G. Thomas, L.H. Vircavs, R. Washington (2013), Estimating aerodynamic roughness over complex surface terrain, Journal of Geophysical Research Atmos., 118, 12,948–12,961.
- Chalbot, M-C., G Nikolich, V Etyemezian, DW Dubois, J King, D Shafer, G Gamboa da Costa, JF Hinton, IG Kavouras (2012) Soil humic-like organic compounds in prescribed fire emissions using nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, Environmental Pollution, 181, 167-171.
- Kavouras, I.G., G. Nikolich, V. Etyemezian, D.W. DuBois, J. King, D. Shafer (2012) In situ observations of soil minerals and organic matter in the early phases of prescribed fires, Journal of Geophysical Research Atmos., 117, 12, D12313.
- King, J., Etyemezian, V., Sweeney, M., Buck, B. and Nikolich, G. (2011) Dust emission variability at the Salton Sea, California, USA. Aeolian Research, 3(1): 67-79.
- Buck, B.J., King, J. and Etyemezian, V. (2011) Effects of salt mineralogy on dust emissions, Salton Sea, California. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 75(5): 1958-1972.
- Gillies, J.A., Nickling, W.G., King, J. and Lancaster, N. (2010) Modeling aeolian sediment transport thresholds on physically rough martian surfaces: A shear stress partitioning approach. Geomorphology, 121(1-2): 15-21.
- King, J., Nickling, W.G. and Gillies, J.A. (2008) Investigations of the law-of-the-wall over sparse roughness elements. Journal of Geophysical Research, 113: F02S07.
- Gillies, J.A., Nickling, W.G. and King, J. (2007) Shear stress partitioning in the atmospheric inertial sublayer.Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 122(2): 367-396.
- King, J., Nickling, W.G. and Gillies, J.A. (2006) Shear stress ratio measurements within mesquite dominated landscapes of the Chihuahuan Desert, New Mexico, USA. Geomorphology, 82(3-4): 229-244.
- King, J., Nickling, W.G. and Gillies, J.A. (2005) Representation of vegetation and other non-erodible elements in aeolian shear stress partitioning models for predicting transport threshold. Journal of Geophysical Research, 110, F04015.