Professor, Department of Geography
Office: SB 308
TEL: (812) 855-4083
Ph.D., 1984, Indiana
- Cultural Geography
- Tourism Geography
- Geographies of Food
- Landscape Studies
- G369: Geography of Food
- D.C. Knudsen, J.M. Rickly-Boyd and C.E. Greer (2014). “Myth, national identity, and the contemporary tourism site: The case of Amalienborg and Frederiksstaden.” National Identities 16(1): 53-70.
- Knudsen, D.C., M.M. Metro-Roland and J.M. Rickly-Boyd (2012). “Landscape Studies and Tourism Research.” In P. Howard, I. Thompson and E. Waterton, eds. Companion to Landscape Studies. New York: Routledge, forthcoming.
- D.C. Knudsen and J.M. Rickly-Boyd. (2012). “Tourism Sites as Semiotic Signs: A Critique.” Annals of Tourism Research, 39(2): 1252-1254.
- D.C. Knudsen and C.E. Greer (2011). “Tourism and Nostalgia for the Pastoral on the Island of Fyn, Denmark. Journal of Heritage Tourism. Journal of Heritage Tourism 6(2): 87-98.
- Knudsen, D.C., J.M. Rickly-Boyd and M.M. Metro-Roland (2011). “Landscape Perspectives on Tourism Geographies”. In J. Wilson, ed. Routledge Handbook of Tourism Geographies. New York: Routledge, pp. 201-206. D.C. Knudsen, M.M. Metro-Roland, A.K. Soper, and C.E. Greer (eds).(2008)Landscape, Tourism and Meaning. Aldershot, Hampshire, UK: Ashgate.
- D.C. Knudsen and C.E. Greer (2008). “Heritage Tourism, Heritage Landscapes and Wilderness Preservation: The Case of National Park Thy. Journal of Heritage Tourism 3(1): 18-35.
- D.C. Knudsen, A.K. Soper and M. Metro-Roland (2007). “Gazing, Performing and Reading: A Landscape Approach to Understanding Meaning in Tourism Theory. Tourism Geographies 9(3): 227-233.
- Chair, Department of Geography, College of Arts and Sciences
- Director, Landscape Studies PhD Minor Program, University Graduate School
- Angela Babb, Ph.D., in progress
- Megan Betz, Ph.D., in progress
- Beth Ciaravolo, Ph.D., in progress
- Daniel Johnston, M.A., in progress
- Nian Liu, Ph.D., in progress
- Scout Meyer, Ph.D., in progress
- Philip Roth, Ph.D., in progress
- Amy Savener, Ph.D., in progress
- Nitasha Sharma, Ph.D., in progress
- Elizabeth Vidon, Ph.D., in progress
- Stephen Volan, M.A., in progress
- Zachary Machunda, International Effects and the Information-Theoretic Shift-Share Analysis of Change in Geographical Concentration of Indiana Manufacturing Employment, 1950-2000, Ph.D., 2014
- Patrick Alles, Internationalization Strategies of Small and Medium Size Liberal Arts Colleges, Ph.D., 2013
- Rebecca Clouser, (co-supervisor), Interrelations between Fear and Development in Guatemala: A Multi-Perspective Analysis, Ph.D., 2013 ,
- Angela Babb, Community Food Security: The Role of Alternative Food Networks in Food Deserts, M.A., 2013
- Jillian Rickly-Boyd, On Lifestyle Climbers: An Examination of Rock Climbing Dedication, Community, and Travel, Ph.D., 2012
- Gloria Maleski, A Comparative Analysis of the Traits and Travel Motivations of Ecotourists and Conventional Tourists in Wisconsin, M.A., 2012
- Cameron Meyer, The Influence of Advocacy Groups and Clubs on Recreation and Travel Behavior of Mountain Bikers in the United States, M.A., 2012
- Lisa Braverman, Touring Persuasion: Birthright Israel and Ideological Implications of the Enthymeme, M.A., 2010
- Yan He, Splendid China Park: A Case Study of Cultural Contestation, M.A., 2010
- Brian Johnson, The Mis/alignments of Land Use Controls with Perceived Local Preferences in Porter County, Indiana, Ph.D., 2010
- F. Claire Lucas, Conceptualizing Citygarden: Public Space and Private Power in Saint Louis, Missouri, M.A., 2010
- Christine Mathenge, Effects of Migration Influx, Occupance and Land Acquisition on Changing Land Tenure Patterns in Southwest Uganda, Ph.D., 2008
- Michelle Metro-Roland, Reading Signs, Interpreting Meaning & Placing Culture in the Budapest Landscape, Ph.D., 2008
- Lei Xu, F-2: The Experiences of Chinese Trailing Spouses in the U.S., M.A., 2008
- Brian Johnson, Nature, Isolation, and Affordability: An Examination of Exurban Migration Motivations in Indiana, Illinois, and Texas, M.A., 2006
- Anne Soper, Cultural Heritage, Identity, and Tourism in Mauritius: Moving Beyond the Tourist Graze, Ph.D., 2006
- Zhigang Tang, The Urban Housing Market in a Transitional Economy: Shanghai as a Case Study, Ph.D., 2006
- Altynai Yespembetova, Tourism Development in the Republic of Kazakhstan, M.A., 2005
- Nikolas Heynen, The Social Processes Contributing to Urban Environmental Change: Indianapolis's Inner-city Urban Trees, 1962-1993, Ph.D., 2002
- Wenjie Sun, The Geography of the Internet, M.A., 2002