Assistant Professor, Department of Geography
Office: MSB II 310
TEL: (812) 856-5557
Ph.D. 2012, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Forest Disturbances
- G109, Weather and Climate
- G237, Cartography and Geographic Information
- G307, Biogeography: Distributions of Life
- G405/G505, Ecological Climatology
- G452/G552, Tree-Ring Science
- G440/G540, Topics in Environmental Geography
- J.T. Maxwell, Harley, G.L. and Matheus, T.J. (In Press) Dendroclimatic reconstructions from multiple co-occurring species: a case study from an old-growth deciduous forest in Indiana, USA. International Journal of Climatology DOI:10.1002/joc.4021
- J.T. Ortegren, and Maxwell, J.T. (2014) Characteristics of the interaction between droughts and tropical cyclones in the southeastern U.S. Geography Compass 8 (8): 540–559.
- Ortegren, J.T., Weatherall, A., and Maxwell, J.T. (2014). Subregionalization of low-frequency summer drought variability in the southeastern U.S.A. Professional Geographer. 66 (2): 323–332.
- Smith, M., Stallins, J.A., Maxwell, J.T., Van Dyke, C. (2013) The complex nature of hydrological shifts and tree growth responses to river modification along the Apalachicola River, Florida. Physical Geography
- Maxwell, J.T., Ortegren, J.T., Knapp, P.A., and Soulé, P.S. (2013). Tropical cyclones and drought amelioration in the Gulf and Southeastern Coastal United States. Journal of Climate 26 (21): 8440–8452.
- Maxwell, J.T., Knapp, P.A., and Ortegren, J.T. (2013). Influence of the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation on Tupelo Honey Production from AD 1800–2010. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 174–175: 129–134.
- P.A. Knapp, Soulé, P.T. and Maxwell, J.T. (2013). Mountain Pine Beetle Selectivity in Old-Growth Ponderosa Pine Forests: A Dendroecological Analysis between Live and Dead Trees in Outbreak Areas. Ecology and Evolution 3 (5): 1141–1148.
- Grissino-Mayer, H.D., Maxwell, J.T., Harley, G.L., Garland, N.A., Holt, D.H., Absher, C., Beale, B.J., Boehm, M.S., de Graauw, K.A., Rautio, A., and Dye, A.W. (2013). Dendrochronology reveals the construction history of an early 19th century farm settlement, southwestern Virginia, USA. Journal of Archaeological Science 40 (1): 481–489.
- Maxwell, J.T., Soulé, P.T., Ortegren, J.T., and Knapp, P.A. (2012). Drought busting tropical cyclones in the southeastern Atlantic United States. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 102 (2): 259–275.
- Maxwell, J.T. and Knapp, P.A. (2012). Reconstructed tupelo-honey yield in northwest Florida inferred from Nyssa Ogeche tree-ring data: 1850–2009. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment 149: 100–108.
- Oretegren, J.T., Knapp, P.A., Maxwell, J.T., Tyminski, W.P., and Soulé, P.T. (2011). Ocean-atmosphere influence on low-frequency warm-season drought variability in the Gulf Coast and Southeastern U.S.A. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 50 (6): 1177–1186.
- Maxwell, J.T. and Soulé, P.T. (2011). Drought and other driving forces behind population change in six rural counties in the United States. Southeastern Geographer 51 (1): 133–149.
Student Theses and Dissertations
- Trevis Matheus, M.S. (2014); Ph.D. In Progress
- Karly Schmidt, M.S. In Progress
- Matthew Wenzel, M.S. In Progress
- Nicholas Batchos, M.S. In Progress