The Department of Geography at Indiana University has an established reputation as a center of excellence in research and teaching. The preparation of graduate students for careers in research, teaching, and service is one of the crucial missions of the department. We are a small but very active department where graduate students benefit from working closely with the faculty. Graduates from the Department of Geography at Indiana have gone on to careers as faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States and the world, and to a wide variety of rewarding careers in public and private sector employment. We attract, and encourage, students from a wide variety of undergraduate and masters degree backgrounds. We offer the Master of Arts (M.A.), Master of Science (M.S.), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees. See our Geography section of the University Graduate School Bulletin for more information.
We welcome applications from students with a wide array of backgrounds. Applicants to our graduate programs should submit the following information.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
- Exam taken before August 1, 2011 – a minimum of one score of at least 600 or better on the verbal or quantitative, 4.5 or better on Analytical.
- Exam taken after August 1, 2011 – a minimum of 151 on verbal and a minimum of 150 on quantitative, and 4.5 or better on Analytical.
- Undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA)
Minimum of 3.0 on 4.0 scale (a B average)
- 3 Letters of reference
- Statement of Research Interests
Once you have met all of the basic admission standards, the "Statement of Research Interests" is one of the most critical parts of your application on which you will be evaluated for admission and funding. In addition to clearly stating your own research interests and expertise, your statement should reflect why our program is a good fit to your future goals. You are strongly encouraged to identify in your statement faculty members and/or research areas that you would like to work in and with.
- TOEFL or IELTS exams
International students (whose native language is not English):
- TOEFL - Minimum of 600 (>249 CBT, >99 IBT). (Minimum of 620 (>260 CBT, >104 IBT) for Financial Aid).
- IELTS – Minimum of 6.5 for admission, 7.0 recommended for Financial Aid
Both domestic and international applicants should mail any and all supplemental materials in support of their application to:
Department of Geography
Student Building 120
701 E. Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405
In order to submit your application, you must pay the application fee with a credit card. The fees are:
International - $65
Fall Admission Application Deadlines