Competitive opportunites for funding:
Research Assistantships (RA)
These are funded by individual faculty research funds. The exact award is dependent on the faculty member. These are normally at least financially equivalent to an AI position. Like AI positions these are 0.5 FTE (20 hour per week) positions with a stipend, fee scholarship, and health insurance.
Associate Instructorships (AI)
Laboratory Instructors: Responsibilities include meeting laboratory/ discussion sections and holding office hours and help sessions; attending lectures; setting up labs; proctoring exams; grading labs and exams as necessary; and attending weekly organizational meetings with the instructor in charge of the course. Independent Instructors: Responsibilities include the independent organization and teaching of a course within the department including the promulgation of syllabus and choice of course text; the preparation and presentation of lectures; the composition and grading of exams, exercises and labs. These are 0.5 FTE (20 hour per week) positions with a stipend, fee scholarship, and health insurance.
There are a number of Indiana University fellowships that are available to students at various stages in their graduate careers. The Department will nominate appropriate incoming students for Awards. To be nominated for such awards as the Chancellor's Fellowships, Fellowships for underrepresented students, and Women in Science Fellowship it is critical that we have a completed application by early January. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for external fellowships and use them at Indiana University. In addition the University provides support in Grant writing, and finding sources of funds through the GradGrant Center.
Ph.D. students are normally funded for 5 years, given adequate progress. The department does not fund terminal Masters degrees.
There are various external funding opportunities.
- National Science Foundation
- Fulbright Scholarship
- The World Bank Scholarship
- The International Monetary Fund Scholarship
- Rotary Foundation
- Social Science Research Council - Contains 12 fellowships
- Eisenhower Graduate Transportation Fellowship
- Judith McManus Price Scholarship - Planning-oriented scholarship
- Benjamin H. Stevens Graduate Fellowship in Regional Science
- United Nations University - Institute of Advanced Studies PhD and Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Edmund S. Muskie/FREEDOM Support Act (FSA) Graduate Fellowship
- Institute of Humane Studies Fellowship
- The American Congress on Surveying and Mapping Scholarship (ACSM) - GIS/RS related
- EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Fellowships for Graduate Environmental Study
- The Charles A. and Anne Morrow Lindbergh Foundation Grant Program
- Joseph L. Fish Doctoral Fellowship - Resources for the Future
- Francois Fiessinger Scholarship Fund - Environmental Research and Education Foundation
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Program - A variety of funds for graduate students
- Early doctoral student research grants (edsrg) program - U.S. Dept. of HUD
- Dr. Nancy Foster Scholarship - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- American Meteorological Society Scholarship
- National Water Research Fellowship
- Smithsonian Institution Fellowship
- Natinoal Physical Science Consortium Fellowship